For the last two years, I've followed the Umbrella Prints Trimmings Competition. Last year I may or may not have been squealing when I saw Nova's entry or this entry by pop-i-cok. (Go, look at them, you won't regret it!!) I'm not sure there is any way to top these, but after seeing this bag from LRstitched using a pattern from Michelle Patterns, I thought it would be a perfect way to showcase the Trimmings prints. I ordered right away and started trying to figure out what neutral to use with the prints.
I settled on Tobacco Chambray from the Lisette collection at my Joann's - when it was on sale for more than half off. I love it ~ it's almost tweedy.
A week ago I made the bag to be sure I understood how the pattern worked. It's a great pattern, very thorough and just perfect with loads of exterior and interior pockets. Details on the logistics of bag making are on that post.
My favorite part is that it came together the way I imagined it would in my head - I adore simple patchwork and it's ability to show a variety of prints and/or solids. I did some random/improvisational piecing with leftover scraps that worked out being on the front of the front pocket.
Patchwork Front: Umbrella Prints Trimmings, 2 1/2 inch blocks
Pattern: Messenger Bag Pattern, Michelle Patterns
Exterior Body: Tobacco Chambray, Lisette collection for Joann's
Interior lining: Coffee Buzz for Andover fabrics
Nickel hardware: Michelle Patterns