summer header

Monday, May 14, 2012

Messenger Bag from Michelle Patterns

The long story on this pattern is that I bought this pattern long ago when then Keyka Lou was having a sale.  I never printed it out and forgot about it!!  Then I ran across this lovely...



from Lindsey of LRstitched!!!  It is so amazing!!  Check her blog post for more details.   

I knew that I wanted to make one like it! I started with making 2 1/2 inch patchwork squares of mostly AMH (LR's are probably 2 inch).  I laid them out on lightweight interfacing, using Oh, Fransson's tutorial for making postage stamp blocks.  This is genius, because it makes sewing up your small squares so easy.  I did not make a grid, I just laid them out carefully and ironed. Snipping the seam is not a step to skip, it will make everything lay flat and be easier to stitch over.  I added batting and sewed about 1/4 inch along all seams.

5:6:366


Like Lindsey I made a strap instead of using webbing ~ cutting fabric salvage to salvage 6 inches wide and then folding it in half and ironing, then opening it back up and folding in to the center.  The final strap is 1 1/2 inches wide, then and fits perfectly in the 1 1/2 inch hardware, which I also bought from Michelle Patterns (she carries this nickle version and a plastic version).  (KeykaLou is the former name for Michelle Patterns.)  The exterior is Kona Ash and the lining is a bird print from Ikea and an unknown yellow from my stash.

Messenger Bag


Messenger Bag


Messenger Bag


This is a fantastic pattern!!  It is very thorough and detailed.  There are so many pockets ~ one nice one inside and several outside.  It is always amazing to me that written directions can translate into something three dimensional.  Watching that process happen never fails to make me fall in love with sewing!!


Messenger Bag

This is actually a prototype (muslin!) for my next project, which for now is still top secret.  (Sewing contest, anyone?)

6 comments:

  1. Wow, that is gorgeous!!! Love those AMH prints with the gray. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loooovve this! Great job. Fabric is yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful messenger bag! AMH fabrics are my favorites and these look amazing. Enjoy it this summer - looks like it will hold a whole lot of goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! A friend and I just put in an order for some AMH to make quilts together. I can't wait to see it in person!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It turned out SO beautifully! I feel honored to have inspired you! Good luck with your top secret project!

    ReplyDelete