summer header

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Chincoteague ~ Why I Love Virginia!

We met my sister and her kids, as well as my parents for part of a week in Chincoteague.  Although I've been birding there long ago, I've never gone in the summer.  We rented a lovely house on Little Oyster Bay, about 4 miles from the beach.  Our weather started out cool, but got REALLY hot by Friday.  The cousins crabbed, took rides in kayaks and canoes, and boogie boarded like nobody's business!   

  6:26:366

Chincoteague June 2012

6:27:366

Untitled

Untitled


Chincoteague June 2012


Chincoteague June 2012

Chincoteague June 2012

A beautiful, beautiful place to go.  Although the beaches got somewhat crowded later in the week and in the day, we had some great beach time.  This little place really has the feel of a small town that remains almost pristine.  There is some good local food - including ice cream, and a very local grocery.  The beach itself is within the Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge, which keeps it from being built on and which protects the land around it.  There are miles of beach.  Phil and Nate were even able to surf.  I think we'll be going back!

There is nothing like time with family ~ I cherish time together and wish we lived closer!! 

3 comments:

  1. How beautiful!!! I always dreamed of going there when I was young to see the wild ponies after reading Misty of Chincoteague. It looks like a really romantic place, your pictures are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for sharing such beautiful family moments. all your photos are so evocative but that one of dangling feet is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chincoteague is my favorite place. I have been missing it since we moved west 3 years ago. I grew up with Misty of Chincoteague and all the rest of M. Henry's books on my nightstand. I can still remember my very first trip there. *sigh* You are bringing back such beautiful memories - thank you!!

    ReplyDelete